The Exotic Rhythm Kings

The Rhythm Kings - Exotic

The Rhythm Kings - Exotic

Exotic is my favourite record of the moment. Fritz, my Heavy Sugar co-conspirator, turned me on to it last time we DJed together. The sound coming from the speakers blew my mind and I just had to own the 45. To my surprise and delight, with some effort, I managed to track one down within a week. It’s a recording from 1963 by a Pachuco surf-and-soul combo Al Garcia and the Rhythm Kings, credited here simply as The Rhythm Kings. Exotic was written by Bruce Morgan and is based on a traditional Spanish dance tune from the 1700s called The Zorongo. A comprehensive essay on the origins of this tune can be found here. Versions were also recorded by Latin rockers The Sentinals, The Original Surfaris, and Bob Vaught & the Renegaids, but this Rhythm Kings version is the best. My copy is a UK pressing, released on the Decca subsidiary label Vocalion Pop. In the US it appeared as a single on GNP Crescendo and on a couple of surf compilation albums on the same label. I hope it elicits the same reaction in you as it does me.

Labels: , ,

eXTReMe Tracker